Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Who's Who of Tangled Textiles


I am not sure how the idea of a crossword puzzle came to me, it was probably something Beverly wrote in her email describing the challenge. Once I had a format in mind the challenge was how to develop it. I wanted to focus on the group members and their blogs as a way of getting to know the members better.

Once the crossword puzzle questions and answers were constructed I explored several laborious methods of  transferring the puzzle to fabric and decided the most logical idea was to scan the completed puzzle into Photoshop.

The biggest hurdle was printing on fabric. There were problems with color saturation, paper misfeeds and ink smudges.  Perseverance paid off and I finally printed something that was usable.

I used a pillowcase finish for the first time and this technique worked well. All in all, I am pleased with the finished piece. More details are available on my blog.

9 comments:

  1. This is fabulous! I love the colours, and can only image how long it took to do the printing on fabric, something that frequently frustrates me. I love how you`ve focused on us and gave us all the opportunity to have fun with the crossword puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy this looks awesome!
    I really love that you incorporated the whole group into your quilt and we had a lot of fun with the crossword puzzle. I never printed on fabric, so I am really impressed you went through all this trouble to colllect bits and pieces of our blogs.
    The back is a wonderful extra to the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the colours, too and especially I like the collage of the background and the way it went together. I particularly like asymmetrical sets like yours with the separating border and then more collage on the left. It is a piece d resistance and will always be about us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You were super successful after all your work! I love how you've created such depth with your background that I want to keep searching for hidden treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judy, nothing like a good crossword puzzle. I love the colors! and the background is so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very fun response to the theme! I feel your pain on the difficulty of getting good photo transfer color but the result you have here looks vibrant and very strong. I really like the references to others' quilt blog banners in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like Gina I spent some time really looking through the background for all the little bits from each of our blogs. How ingenious Judy! This must hae taken you quite some time, but the result is vibrant and wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow- I had to click on the picture and spend time looking at all the images in the background. What a fantastic interpretation that brings in the whole group! I've only done a little printing on fabric, so I read about your trials with a lot of empathy. And the crossword puzzle reference is ingenious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Judy how wonderful is this. To be able to do your first challenge and incoporated all of the members is awesome. ALl your hard work paid off it is wonderful. Now I will go visit your blog for the details, just fantastic, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete