Sunday, January 15, 2012

Up Up and Away!

Several years ago we vacationed in New Brunswick and managed to catch an early morning lift off at a balloon festival in Sussex.  My husband takes some wonderful photographs, and this one is one I've wanted to try to create in fabric for sometime.  (Photograph used with permission)
I kept to techniques I'm familiar with, although did try piecing the balloon itself using a freezer paper technique, and have to say it came together well for me.  It contains some raw edge applique, my pre-requisite faux trapunto and dense free motion quilting, although this time, only in a few spots.  The hardest part was trimming the quilt down to the 16" square format.  All in all, I'm very pleased with how it has turned out.

Up Up and Away

For more information and additional pictures, please see my post here.

8 comments:

  1. very cool Janet! I love the perspective you created looking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fabulous Janet! I can feel my neck craning backward as I look up at this ...you captured that amazing photograph perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can feel myself lifting off the ground in this one Janet! I can hear the Whoosh, Whoosh of firing up the helium to go higher. Great perspective. Like Gina I can feel my head tilting back to get a better look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like I said on your blog, it is a gorgeous and unique interpretation of the theme. I love what you have done with this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so impressed by this, Janet. IT has such dimension and atmosphere and says looking up very clearly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like I said on your blog Janet, I’m in awe over this piece. It’s so beautiful, I become curious who are in the basket!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am always hoping for an edge finish which does not use binding and you have done that. The illusion of floating away is captured so effectively and the large minimally quilted areas are complemented by the intense FMQ.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another great interpretation of "looking up." And I really like how you've got a sense of dimension and fullness in this.

    ReplyDelete