Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Remnants- Beverly

I almost made it- finished, that is.  It's not quite done, but done enough to post a picture.


It was pretty easy for me to figure out what I was doing with this challenge.  What quilter doesn't have remnants stashed away in their studio?  I have plenty!  In fact, some of these are on their third iteration- anyone remember my Balance quilt?  The block was left over from that challenge, and the fabrics were left over from a quilt I made my daughter.

I have been admiring much of what I see in the modern quilt movement- the minimalist approach, the large areas of negative space, and the use of white or gray as a background.  I thought this would be an opportunity to try my hand at this esthetic, and see what I could come up with.

I managed to get all the background quilting done today, but I still need to quilt the block and add a binding.  Hopefully I'll get to that by the weekend, and then I'll post a picture of the totally finished quilt!


Here you can see a detail of the quilting I did on the white.  I like it, had fun doing it- but I think straight line quilting would have been more in keeping with the modern esthetic.

So there you have it- my still-in-progress Remnants.

6 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful take on the modern quilts, Beverly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beverly, I love the simplicity of this and your quilting is wonderful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very modern,lots of negative space and impact. love your quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful beautiful quilting - I love your left over block and your setting is just great - it all works wonderfully and is well balanced!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo, wish I could quilt like that Beverly. The piece is stunning. Love the minimalist approach you took with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My first thought on viewing your quilt was that it had been inspired by Mondrian. I have been watching this movement with interest and you have creatively captured the modern ideal.

    ReplyDelete